Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Influence of Women



At a training meeting for Church employees, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was asked, “What have you learned from your wife about leading as the Savior would lead?” He gave this response:
“I know what it means to have God say to Adam that everything he had and everything that was done up to that point in the Creation was not enough, not sufficient, not complete. No, the crowning act of Creation was the creation of a woman. That is true in my life, and I think it’s true in all the annals of eternity. … It [is] the women in our lives who have saved our hopes and encouraged our dreams.
I think in some ways women are often more sensitive to the Spirit and to righteousness than men are. I’m in this Church primarily because of the efforts of two women. Whatever I’ve been in my life and in the gospel, I owe to my mother and my wife. I owe my mother for my birth and the first 20 years of my life, and my wife for five decades of devotion since then. That is the simple truth. Pat is, to this day, the most clarion call of truth in my life. There is no voice, no communication, no inspiration from any mortal in my life that compares with the influence she has. And I think that’s the way it is supposed to be. …
“It was my mother who made sure I went to Primary. It was my mother who every Sunday had me in my Aaronic Priesthood duties with a clean, pressed shirt. She did everything to bless my life. Then Pat picked up that challenge as we courted and married. She bore our children and raised them. She gave me her life and supports me in whatever I do and wherever I go.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your visit and comment!